In looking back over the last 100 days of coaching tips, I stumbled across this excerpt from the very first home-study course I ever wrote back in 1991, called "The Key to Power"....
The Ultimate Formula for Success
"This simple but proven formula is the key that unlocks the vault of success; it is the character trait of champions that will take you beyond the threshold of genius...This secret formula was once known to you when you were a tiny baby. You used it to teach yourself how to walk and talk. As you grew older, you began to re-interpret this creative process as a series of tiny "successes" and "failures". With reinforcement, you began to long for the "successes" and fear the "failures". It is this fear, more than anything else in life, that holds you back from using the secret of success in any endeavour."
What was the secret ?
DO IT EVERY DAY!
1. Make a list of all the things you already do on a daily basis, from the basic to the unique.
Examples: Brushing teeth, breathing, writing coaching tips, talking with friends, etc.
2. As you review your list, notice the feeling you get when you think about doing those things. Is it tense or relaxed? Warm or cool? Easy or forced? Play with this feeling until it seems easily recognisable to you.
3. Now think of a skill you would like to master - anything from playing the guitar to flower arranging to higher mathematics.
4. Imagine doing your new skill with the feeling of those things you already do everyday. It may help to go back and forth in your mind between the new skill and one of your "everyday skills".
Example: Go back and forth between the feeling of brushing your teeth and that of doing higher mathematics until you can imagine doing higher mathematics with the feeling of an everyday activity.
5. Set a time period during which you intend to practice this skill on a daily basis. Choose a timeframe that you know you can succeed at - you can always expand it later, as your desire and mastery grow. Example: If you think you could stick with it for at least a week, set the intention of practicing for at least five days in a row - you can set a new intention in five days time based on your experience.
Have fun, learn heaps, and let the mastery begin!